Pages

Thursday 19 April 2012

"Hardboiled" Model: Beginning to End

So now you know the back ground I will show you how I made the model from beginning to end with some pics.


So this first photo is of the model after I'd assembled it together into the basic structure I wanted. You will notice as well that the left building has windows and these will be the windows for the office room.


This is a little bit further on. I made the second road and glued some bath salt down to make the gravel for the car park. I also painted in the bricks and window frames. Also I have set up the cafe to how I want it.


From the same angle again, I've printed the bricks on, this time. I made the counter in the cafe out of foam and sponges, painted a wood grain effect on to it and glued it down to a floor which I painted to look like an old wooden floor. What you cant see, as well, is that I've painted the cafes' one wall to look like the wallpaper would have in the 50's. I've also made a pavement out of foam and painted to bath salts to make it look more like gravel.


This is a photo of the inside of the office. I made the desk and filing cabinet out of sponge and foam again. I placed papers into the drawers and on the desk, also worth noting, the papers on the desk are portraits of the two figures in the car park, to make it more like the story. Oh and I put plastic over the windows so they would light in off the street. The floor again is painted to look like a wooden floor and I also cut up bits of wood to make a skirting board for the office.


This is model all finished really. I added in lights into the office and cafe and made working lamp posts to go on the street. I also made the couple in the carpark, out of clay and their clothes out of felt. I made the car out of a mixture of clay, Plasticine and card, it was based on a car my boyfriend made for me in google sketch up, he based it on cars at the time with out it actually being any one car. I made some posters to show the advertising style at the time, cut out a skyline to be used as the background for the model, made a moon to go behind the skyline and added skirting board and some supports into the cafe (my niece accidently fell on it and smushed it a bit).


A view from the front now. The woman in the poster points to the switch which turns the cafe light on. In the office you can see the lights I added in and the Detective looking out the window. As you will notice the buildings are tilting in different directions. Originally I came up with the idea of titling the buildings inwards to make it look a little unnerving and claustrophobic, but no matter what I did the buildings kept tilting outwards. 

 

My mood boards; a collection of photos that inspired, influenced and helped me with my project.

I decided to take some photos of my project, in the style of film noir, I thought these could look like the stills of a film, furthering the film noir aspect to the project.

I will post these in my next blog post. 

But first there's this last photo of my completely finished project; model and moodboards, all sorted and finished! (Sigh of relief)


No comments:

Post a Comment